21 Jun Macho Macho Man
I’m training a new dog walker (Emma) to join our crew. We were walking into the park with our leashed up k9’s when I alerted her to an approaching dog and his owner. Armed with our toy (for Sunny) our treats (for Tyson), we were able to maintain focus and reward as they passed without incident. Behind us was another dog walker that I know. Seconds later there was a scuffle and I heard her say “DUUUUDE….WTF!!!!!”. I hate being smug but why did I know that something was going to happen with this approaching dog/owner if we didn’t take precaution? So I proceeded to describe to Emma what she should look out for. She coined it the MACHO MAN SYNDROME. Here’s the 10 ways to identify a MACHO MAN and his unfortunate dog.
1. He has his dog on a choke collar or prong collar.
2. His dog is always over 50 lbs.
3. His dog has been transformed to look scarier. In this case it was a Dobi with cropped ears. Dobi’s with floppy ears are much cuter.
4. He is male and between 20-30.
5. He has an off-leash dog in an on-leash area.
6. His dog is obviously intact.
7. He never picks up his dog’s poop. According to him, it will melt(?) when it rains, or oops, he forgot a bag.
8. His recall to his dog involves yelling.
9. If his dog misbehaves he gets pinned.
10. His dog has a ridiculous name like Punisher.
There’s nothing you can do when you have a run-in with this kind of owner. He can’t be educated. So your strategy is to avoid him at all costs. By the way I seriously regret ever naming my dog Tyson. My next dog will for sure have more of a pansy-like name and hopefully a more gentle disposition.